Tuesday, May 13, 1986

Allerliefste Maaike—Dearest Maaike

Dag Schat, je Pieter
Saartje nog steeds geen moeder... Groetjes en pur van beiden!

Tuesday evening May 13
Dearest Maaike,
I was surprised to find a note from you in the mail again, this time with the help of Uncle Bo. It is also very nice to express that my soul is dried onto this ink, only Maaike can write something like that. There was also a card of Jan and Myriam, who appear to have been on holiday somewhere in the Dolomites. We will copy them sometime; today Dr. Bagnasco called that he would really like to have us there for a few days. There was a nice new hotel in Montebelluna and we should definitely use it, he thought. Coincidentally, there was also a nice, long letter from Annelies today, nothing bad, and she wrote that they didn't like Oversteyns anymore and that they would much rather that I came again. They were very keen to pay the costs, Bagnasco said, so we wouldn't have to bother Campbell. I thought my Maaike would like that, she loves Italian stuff so much; like Madras! (leather boots)
They would have preferred us to stay for the weekend as well. Do you want to order the tickets at the travel agency in Venray; e.g. Monday morning departure from Düsseldorf to Zurich and Wednesday afternoon from Zurich to Venice and e.g. Saturday (or Sunday) whatever you want, from Venice to Düsseldorf. Wring them out well as far as the rate is concerned, but I can leave that up to you. Often they have a rate where the wife can go for half price or e.g. a Saturday in it or something. Isn't that nice? Today I have been busy again. The course is going well, I thought; quite a nice group. Today they wanted to leave a little earlier to shop in Dublin, possibly to Macon. Mike had organized that. I was then able to take the Ford to Firestone for a lubrication and also went to the dry cleaners. By the way, the stain has not been removed. At home I immediately gave your Ford a wash; in the garage they thought she deserved it. 
I had hoped it would rain clean, but nothing; not a drop has fallen yet, although it is always threatening. 
Then I picked the snow peas and blanched them and put them in the freezer, picked some strawberries and gave the Indian lady behind us some lettuce, she was amazed at everything that grew in our garden she said. Then I replaced the small fluorescent lamp in the kitchen under the sink (the entire fixture was broken) and immediately placed a dimmer switch in the living room so that you can temper the light of the large Oisterwijk lamp while watching TV (or something else). She's burning on a low burner now. There was also a note from Mother today with mainly Fair news and some anxious noises regarding the move. You know, girl, that you shouldn't transplant old trees anymore, they don't catch on so easily, especially in Horst. With a little washing up, tidying up, watering flowers, writing, etc., the time is up quickly and you hardly have time to look into the newspaper. Will be worse next week.  The course ends at 12:00 on Thursday and my flight to Toledo leaves at 16:45. Not much time to pack, let alone to go to Joke. I have to talk to Mike again to see if he can't fill that morning so that I have a little more space. The other day my flight from Toledo (OH) arrives at 18:00h, so plenty of time, if everything is normal. Tomorrow I'll try to get you on the phone, if you're reading this it's already a thing of the past. I'm going to sleep girl, lots of love and greetings to everyone. I hope you had a great day!! A very big kiss darling and see you soon. Bye baby
Your Pieter

Saartje still not a mother.
Greetings and pur from both!
Pieter on February 22, 1986 holding Saartje (left) and her brother Spooky the neighbor's cats.
We never knew their names—if they had any... But Saartje got pregnant.


No comments:

Post a Comment