Monday, May 12, 1986

Lieve Pieter—Dear Pieter

Horst, May 12, 1986
by Tristan

Dear Aunt Mariet and Uncle Pieter.
How are things going in America? With me it's fine. Uncle Pieter, are you alone?... Are you also writing a letter back? And I want to ask if you want to send a church.
(considering that Tristan just had turned 8, one month prior to this typing...).

Dear Pieter,
Just finishing a letter from Tristan. He asked for a drawing of our Dublin church. He is full of the 1st communion etc. 
Had a very nice, quiet relaxing trip. Slept and landed at 10:10 am. Quickly out and quickly the suitcases and at 10:45 am already in the car. Harry was already behind the glass, so we saw us right away. At half past one via Veghel etc. (beautiful spring blossoms) in Melderslo. At 1:15 pm I called mom and dad until 13:45 hrs, good half an hour. They just didn't get it. Dad talked about a hundred things. Then after half an hour Harry took me home. He himself went in first. Mom said that I had been on the phone for half an hour... And Harry: What will that cost? She's definitely homesick, Mom said... Then Dad saw me sitting in the car and saw water burning! They were surprised.
I had coffee and Piet bought for me two bunches of white flowers from Zanders for Mother's Day. At 17:30 Dad drove me to Berkele Heem. Mother had a visit from an elderly woman from the Herstraat?? She left. She had all kinds of boxes in the room because of the move this Wednesday morning. She looked a bit 'older' in the face since November. Her eyes and all that. She wasn't surprised at all! Is Pieter here too, she asked. No, this is a surprise for the two mothers and tomorrow a communion celebration. In the family, she asked. No at Ellie Smits'. I told her to say hello to the rest. Thé was still to come. After 10 minutes we left because Dad was waiting in the car. Ironed at home to be able to go decent looking to church and then called Ellie at 20:00h. She was happy and surprised and so was Tristan. In the tub and at 22:00h to bed. On the old electric under–blanket of yours! Blessed. 
Up at 8:30 am and dressed. Coffee and pie from Mother's Day (home-baked) and at 9:30 Jeu came to pick me up. At 10:00 am the children had to be at the Dean's in the garden for pictures. Picked up by Jong Nederland (Young Netherland) with music and into the church. Jan Smits also had a daughter and Peter and Rita Verdellen had a son. Haven't seen the Dean in person yet. A very nice mass and last week of the Weisterbeek school 20 and 45 of the Doolgaard school now. Going home for coffee etc. Tristan had chosen Chinese dinner and Jeu picked up everything. Easy too. Had a spring roll. Ellie's family came, and later Jeu's. The baby of Moniek of José (Ellie's sister) is now 2.5 and just like a doll! You just have to see her, you will be sold in no time... 
 It's nice to see everyone like this. I've known them all for 21 years, so it's like my own! Ellie liked that too because I'm like one of them and you always felt left out about it... You know what she means. But indeed 3 years is different from 21 years! There was too much food as always!! And Grandpa and Grandma also had to swap because of Thea's son also doing his first communion! So double up. I stayed upstairs for the night. Tristan was so happy that I stayed over. At about 1:00 am I went to bed. Slept well and woken up by the kids, that's nice. Up at 9:30 a.m. Tristan goes to school at 10:30 am. I've helped Ellie vacuum and mop downstairs. At 11:30 am we picked up the kids from school. Together we attacked a second large cold dish platter... That was over! Now in the afternoon just finishing this letter at a wobbly table.
Tristan wanted to give us tadpoles to take home! They are here in the bins in front of the window.  Went shopping some more. Haven't called anyone yet and haven't been to Venray. It will be fine. 
Tonight maybe to Dora, when Thé is home... Dora had grumbled to Mom about me at the market the other day. Because of Marion etc. what I had said. And she had also complained that Marion had had to tote around the yarn last year... Poor child if you have to listen to that now.
So, that's the news so far.
Are you sleeping well?
There is now a faint sun, dry but around 15°C.  
Will you bring some of my rubber bands? They are in the bathroom in a pouch next to your toiletry bag. I still have some, but I forgot about them. I had also forgotten the grey half slip dress. It's in my drawer with the underwear. 
So if you please get that ready. 
Is your new sweater already here? And the shorts? It's not a very short one though. Did you also get the white Bermuda shorts from the dry cleaners? 
Please do bring that mini jam jar as well, what is in the kitchen on the cutlery box.
And is my new sweater already here? Also take a good look in the front porch and on the terrace to see if there is a package. Now that the garage is closed, I don't know where UPS is putting it. 
Oh yes, if you want to call Rekha for those plants, her number is in the kitchen above that phone with those papers.
Did you swim yet?
Well, let's end. Some chatting and then there's coffee 2:40 p.m.
Lots of love from your little one
She's doing well!

Ellie had just seen Liz. Oh what a beauty that is! So Dad be proud.
And Thea looks good too. She spends a lot of time with the wife of butcher Wijnhoven, who also has problems... For the sake of the children, they stay together. She also had two such beautiful daughters. My nice white blouse is getting too tight... Put on the gray one yesterday after Mass! Too bad about the Fl 369 but good for me! I was nicely tanned. 
May 11, 1986 St. Lambertus Church in Horst during 1st Communion

No comments:

Post a Comment